Types of information
Personal information: is information or an opinion, whether true or not and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual who is identified or reasonably identifiable.
Sensitive information: is a sub-set of personal information that is given a higher level of protection. Sensitive information means information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion, trade union or other professional associations or memberships, philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, criminal records, health information or biometric information.
The information we collect
The types of personal information we may collect about you include:
Where you are a customer, potential customer or on our marketing list:
- Your name;
- Your contact details, which might include your email address, mailing address and/or telephone number;
- Your credit card or payment details (through our third party payment processor);
- Your preferences and/or opinions;
- Information you provide to us through customer surveys;
- Details of products and services we have provided to you and/or that you have enquired about, and our response to you;
Where you are a potential customer or customer for our prepaid funeral services:
- Your date of birth;
- Your next of kin;
- Any other personal information necessary to plan your funeral;
Where you are a potential customer or customer for our informal will generation services:
- Your marital status;
- Your family details (including your partner’s name, your children’s names), including whether you have any children with disabilities;
- Your estate preferences (for example detail of any gifts (including to religious or trade union organisations)), beneficiaries of your estate, Your preferred executors, your preferred guardians and any other information you choose to include in your will);
- Your funeral preferences which may include information regarding your religious beliefs;
Where you apply for a job or position with us:
- Your name, contact details, working history and resume details and relevant records checks;
Where you are a user of our website:
- Your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behaviour;
- Information about your access and use of our Services, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with our online Services, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- Additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our Services, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- Any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
We only collect sensitive information from you with your consent and we will only use it with your consent or as required or authorised by law.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a variety of ways, including:
We collect personal information which you directly provide to us, including when you register on our website or when you communicate with us through correspondence, chats, email, or when you share information with us from other social applications, services or websites.
We may collect personal information which you indirectly provide to us while interacting with us, such as when you interact with our sites, services, content and advertising, in emails, over the telephone and in your online enquiries.
From third parties
Collection and use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, including to enable you to access and use our Services, including to provide you with a login or to deliver our products to you;
- To generate documents (such as wills, power of attorneys, advance care directives) upon your request;
- To store your choices and to enable you to access and edit your saved choices in relation to the services we provide to you;
- To enable you to access and use our associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- To contact and communicate with you about our Services;
- For internal record keeping, administrative, invoicing and billing purposes;
- For analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve our Services, associated applications;
- To administer rewards, surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our business partners;
- For advertising and marketing, including to send you promotional information about our products and services and information that we consider may be of interest to you;
- To comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have;
- If you have applied for employment with us; to consider your employment application; and
- If otherwise required or authorised by law.
We only collect, hold, use and disclose sensitive information for the following purposes:
- Any purposes you consent to;
- The primary purpose for which it is collected;
- Secondary purposes that are directly related to the primary purpose for which it was collected, including disclosure to the below listed third parties as reasonably necessary to provide our Services to you;
- To contact emergency services, or to speak with your family, partner or support person where we reasonably believe there is a serious risk to the life, health or safety of you or another person and it is impracticable for us to obtain your consent; and
- If otherwise required or authorised by law.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- Third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, to us, including (without limitation) IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors, couriers, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing or advertising providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators;
- The third party who manages the Funeral Bond in relation to the Funeral Bond disclosure document;
- Our employees, contractors and/or related bodies corporate;
- Our existing or potential agents or business partners;
- Sponsors or promoters of any promotions or competition we run;
- Anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- Courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services we have provided to you;
- Courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required or authorised by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights;
- Third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics (To find out how Google uses data when you use third party websites or applications, please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ or any other URL Google may use from time to time), Facebook Pixel or other relevant analytics businesses; and
- Any other third parties as required or permitted by law, such as where we receive a subpoena.
Where we disclose your personal information to third parties listed above, these third parties may store, transfer or access personal information outside of Australia, including but not limited to, the United States and Germany.
We will only disclose your personal information to countries with laws which protect your personal information in a way which is substantially similar to the Australian Privacy Principles or we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to protect your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Information from third parties
Where practicable we will give you the option of not identifying yourself or using a pseudonym in your dealings with us.
Restrict and unsubscribe
To object to processing for direct marketing/unsubscribe from our email database or opt-out of communications (including marketing communications), please contact us using the details below or opt-out using the opt-out facilities provided in the communication.
You may request access to the personal information that we hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. Please note, in some situations, we may be legally permitted to withhold access to your personal information.
If you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to promptly correct any information found to be inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading. Please note, in some situations, we may be legally permitted to not correct your personal information.
If you wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the complaint. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take in response to your complaint. You also have the right to contact the relevant privacy authority.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures, to safeguard and secure personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
While we are committed to security, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that is transmitted to or by us over the Internet. The transmission and exchange of information is carried out at your own risk.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our online Services.
Links to other websites