Lawyers often make things harder (and more expensive) than they need to be. We offer probate and estate administration services to suit your needs. Click below to find out more.

How long does Probate take?

A: When someone dies, an Executor of a Will or an Administrator steps in as a caretaker of the deceased person’s estate, which includes any assets like money and property. Where there is a valid Will, the Executor takes ownership of the deceased estate and distributing the assets to beneficiaries in accordance with the Will.

Probate is what is known as the legal process required before a deceased person’s estate can be distributed to any beneficiaries.

Generally speaking, the process of Probate usually takes around 6-12 months. But this depends on the type of assets that need to be dealt with. For example, if property needs to be sold, Probate can be a longer process to complete.

What’s involved with Probate?

The Probate process will vary in each individual’s circumstances, and between state and territory. But generally, the process may include some of the following tasks:

  • Applying for a Grant of Probate for larger estates
  • Appointment of the Executor of the Will
  • Claiming superannuation and any insurance benefits
  • Valuing, managing and/or selling property where there is no surviving spouse
  • Cancelling drivers’ licences
  • Selling a vehicle and/or transferring ownership
  • Deleting or memorialising social media accounts
  • Paying outstanding bills, loans and other liabilities
  • Compiling an inventory of assets and liabilities
  • Determining beneficiaries and distributing bequests
  • Lodging tax returns for the deceased person and their estate
  • Administering trusts, investments and bank accounts
  • Closing accounts

You can find out more about what’s involved in our article What is a Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration? here.

To learn more, visit the Bare Law website or chat with our estate team for a free consultation, on 1800 959 371.

This article is not legal advice. You should speak with your solicitor or accountant for specific advice on your personal or financial situation.